Tuesday, March 10, 2009

DIY - Refinishing Hardwood Floors (PART 1)

Saturday, Randy and I finally did it!!! We ripped up that nasty, dirty, ugly Berber carpet that has plagued our living room and dining room for the past seven years. We have done everything possible to make it look presentable and not too embarrassing when we have company over, but in the end it always looks dirty. A big thank you to Kimberly and her big blue stain! If it wasn't for the two of you, we'd probably still have the carpet. Randy and I are not the expert floor finishers, but we are slowly gaining the confidence to do it ourselves. We were terrified of what we would find under the carpet...but to our relief it was just some paint splatter and alot of character.


We even found that the corners were laid in a beautiful herringbone pattern, creating a border around each room.

Even the kids got in the spirit and helped wipe up the paint from the floor.

There is still alot of work to do: unload the living room, sand, and polyurathane the floors, but Randy and I are going to be so pleased with the end result. I think we can handle living in chaos for a few weeks in exchange for years of beautiful floors!

Saturday night, we spent watching old photos of Randy's family growing up on a slide projector. It was a lot of fun! It also made me really thankful I didn't have to wear some of those clothes from the 60's and 70's, although I am sure my kids will some day make fun of the clothes I wore in the 80's and 90's.

Sunday, we celebrated my cousin Katie's baby shower...she is having a boy! It was so nice to catch up with her since she lives 20 minutes away. I think she will be a great mom!

I came down with a nasty sinus infection, but thank goodness my doc gave me the Z pack to clear me up quick. I don't know how I got over sinus infections before the z pack (it's miracloe medicine). I always feel 100% better each day I take it. I know this weather change has affected my brother and his family too with bad colds and the flu. I hope everyone else is staying healthy!
Photobucket

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! Those look awesome!!! I didn't even know you had hardwood under there. It's a lot of hard work, but it's going to look amazing, not to mention add a lot of value and charm to your home. Glad you took pictures.

Abby said...

Car, you look like you've lost weight! Good for you :) Howsabout you come over here and finish the hardwood project we started LAST YEAR?! Ah! Love the herringbone. Looks beeyootiful!